The terms data migration and data conversion can be very confusing and often these two terms are used interchangeably. The normal people do not have any idea about the difference between the two. In this short article, we will try to explain the major difference between data migration and data conversion. We have tried to use a language which is simple and have avoided complex terms so that people may understand the concepts with ease.
What is data migration?
In simple words, data migration in PrestaShop is transferring of data from a PrestaShop site (1.4, 1.5, 1.6 or lower version) to the PrestaShop last test version. The technique is utilized when
- Acquiring new pipeline data
- Switching from UPDM TO PODS data model
- Updating the PODS model from 3.2 to 6.0
- Upgrade PrestaShop 1.6 (or lower version) to 1.7 (the latest version)
What is data conversion?
In simple words, data conversion is the process of transforming of data from one particular format to another. The data is first of all extracted from a source, and then it is transformed and loaded into the system. The transformation is based on the requirement. The data conversion is utilized when
- The legacy data is stored in CAD files and paper files
- Gathering important information from plant maps and survey notebooks
- Converting job books such as FLC reports
- Acquiring new pipeline data
Now let’s see who is involved in both of these processes
GIS technician analyzes the technical and spatial data. He develops databases and also manages the spatial data.
Upgrade PrestaShop 1.6 to 1.7 by use PrestaShop Migrator module.
The first, we must determine how to migrate data to PrestaShop latest version. Measures server parameters that meet the requirements of the migration process. Ensure that during the migration process, the PrestaShop site is functioning normally. You can set maintenance for your source PrestaShop site, the migrating process will take place in a matter of minutes or hours, depending on the data on your source site and server.
With Upgrade PrestaShop 1.6 to 1.7, you can choose many types of data to migrate. You can select the type of data you need to move, but I recommend that you select all data, which will ensure the results of the most accurate move.
The data technician loads, captures and coverts the pipeline data. The data technician also compares the converted data with the source documents.
The Conversion Process
The timing of this entire process depends on the size of the pipeline data that has been provided. The key steps of the conversion process are as follows
- First of all the data is reviewed and it is identified where the data is coming from and it is checked what important information in inconsistent or missing.
- The appropriate database where the data will be transferred is created. The data requirements are defined and it is ensured that the needed data is properly converted and translated.
- The data which is to be transferred to the new database is reviewed and tested. Once the data has been validated it can be forwarded to the production stage.
The Migration Process
The process of migration is very long and It can take even months to complete. The migration process involves the following steps.
- First of all, a general review of the database is made. Secondly, a review of the current implementation is also done
- A thorough review of the data and tables in the database is done in order to search out unique columns and tables. A review is also done to highlight any inconsistencies in the data. It is important to track the tables within which the data lies in. Similarly, it needs to be identified where the data needs to be migrated (this is done by data mapping).
- After the completion of the mapping, the migrated data is transported from the old database to the new database.
The Process Requires an Expert
Both data conversion and data migration require an expert. If you are not a professional in this field then it is recommended that you should not indulge in this process on your own, since too much is at stake. Similarly, PrestaShop users should also seek services of an expert in this regard. Doing the process on your own can be risky and can result in loss of important data.